Thursday, June 24, 2010

A new fan of the Russian President Dmitry Medvedev


I attended today the address of Russian President Dmitry Medvedev at Stanford's Dinkelspiel Auditorium. Last thing I’d expected was that in 45 minutes I will convert from being Medvedev-neutral to Medvedev’s fan.

It did not change my political views or position on any internal or external topic in Russia, but it did change the way I perceive the Russian leader now.

His closing remarks (as I recompile my memory now) were:

"I visited the Silicon Valley and must admit that what’s going on here leaves a
huge impression, even on a President. I envy you. I envy that you can work every
day on what you love, you can reach self-realization and earn the money and live
fulfilling life. Isn’t that a definition of happiness? My dream is to enable the
same in my country and that’s also my politics".
I buy it more that any general political talks about reforms, court and law system, fight with corruption, and so on. All this is important but freedom of self-realization speaks directly to my heart, and is easy to understand.
While all other points he made in his speech about transparently, openness, predictability, laws
and reforms are covered in large by the press, this concluding short remark had really touched me. When the President of one of the most beautiful, yet somehow challenged by its own history, countries speaks in the laymen terms about how exactly he envisions his citizen’s happiness, he, I believe, earns the try.
It’s yet to be seen if such ambitious projects as Skolkovo or his other reforms and projects will be successful, but for me this short concluding remark of Medvedev showed that the current Moscow leadership has a great chance to make these projects work and raised my confidence.

I left the meeting inspired; not a bad score for a day.
Update 6/24: Voice of America reported about this visit and as part of this report interviewed me (watch around minute 3). The report in Russian is called "Президент Медведев покорил Калифорнию" which means "The President Medvedev conquered California":






No comments:

Post a Comment