Friday, May 14, 2010

My thoughts about Facebook privacy issues

I’m on Facebook, and many of my friends are on in too. When I decided to join, I sort of told myself that whatever I want to share with general public would be there, and if something I want to keep private I just will not publish it on the Facebook.

Facebook “friends” come and go. Not every friend there is my real friend. Some are friends, some are just interesting online personas that I befriended there because I like their content, but whom I never met in person.

How much private information I want to share with such people, or even with many people that I know and used to either work or hang out? Well, generally it would not much beyond already known information.

I post, share, like, befriend, comment, follow, become fan and do whatever I do on Facebook and it is clear that any key stroke or mouse click I made aren’t private anymore.

I’m there because I want to be there, because my friends are there and because I like seeing their updates, posts or stuff they find interesting and sometimes I comment or re-share. And eventually all this might to be open.

But this is my decision and when I decided to join Facebook I knew that whatever I put there one way or another is public. The old proverb says that if more than two people know a secret it’s not a secret anymore.

We at eMazeU are big believers in a need to keep some things privately or to share them only with a close circle of people (of course this applies mostly to videosharing and photosharing, as this is a content of eMazeU). That’s how eMazeU works and what we promote extensively. Read our blog post about privacy or our list of benefits our solution brings and one of which is complete privacy of shared content.

There are many ways to keep things private if you want, Facebook just isn’t one of them and never been. But isn’t that one of the things we actually like in Facebook?

No comments:

Post a Comment